Friday, May 21, 2010

And it begins

And it begins……

It is hard to believe that I am writing you again from Africa, I am so blessed to have returned to this place again for the fourth time. As the team got settled on the plane leaving Calgary, I sat looking out the window at what I call my “world” and had a sense that God was going to challenge that view in many ways again this year. I spent some time thinking and praying about my loved ones, and opening my heart to what God wanted to teach me. One thing I have learned about God is that if I am willing to be open and soften my heart to what He wants to teach me, it is often a difficult but essential time of discovery. However, another fact that has remained is how faithful our God is in supplying all of our needs and walking…even carrying us through those learning times. I left Calgary with much anticipation in my heart to see what God has planned for this time, what He was going to teach all of us through this experience, and for the opportunities He as going to open for us to care for people.
We arrived in Beira a few flights later quite tired but praising God for the many mercies we were given over the trip. The customs officials through all of the stops were incredibly simple, even at one point when our team was separated. Despite the long flights, and little sleep the girls were remarkably chipper and remained excited despite the exhaustion that was inevitable. We sat as a team and prayed prior to our flight to ask for the safe delivery of the precious cargo of medications and medical supplies that we were carrying, and God answered that prayer very promptly. Only one bag was searched, and despite a few raised eyebrows by the somber faced official, he gave a quick nod and then smiled saying “welcome to Mozambique”. What a relief…….. Praise God for his provision. The journey ended after a four hour drive to the camp site in which in darkness of the African night seemed to engulf us. But I felt that the true journey just began as the team settled into their tents. I remember finally lying down and listening to the Africa night and my thoughts remained asking God what He had in store for us……. It didn’t take long for that answer to come.
Challenges come in every size, shape and color especially in Africa. This became very real to many of the team members as the first night in Africa brought many things. Despite the countless bugs, unidentified flying objects that would making a “whooshing” sound as they flew close to our heads, animals digging at the tent throughout the night….the team has settled in with screaming as the main coping style. I chuckled to myself one evening as the screams came from the bathroom thinking how we must sound to the witch doctor that lives across the river. Often the beating of the drums and the sounds of their singing echo down the river bed, but image what we sound like to them? I am happy to say the screaming has lessened, and the team has become a little more accustomed to their new “friends”.
There have been many things that have caught my eye and my heart already while I have been here. The poverty that is an everyday reality here always shocks me, and I am thankful for that. In Canada, I am blessed with so many things, and coming here to see what other live with is a perspective that I hope will cure my lips and tongue of any kind of complaining. Seeing the dirt stained smiling faces, the partially standing huts, the rags that children are wearing and the hunger in the eyes of almost everyone I see rocks my emotions to the core. I have found Mozambique to be a land of stark contrasts though, as the beauty of God’s creation acts as a background for the devastation that is so blatantly clear. I know that as the days continue, and the team starts to venture out into the community that even more will be seen and our hearts will be torn between the joys and suffering that is present every day.
Thank you all for praying for us as we travelled. We know that God is leading this trip and has called each of us here for a purpose. We also know that we couldn’t do this type of trip without the prayers and support from back home, and we are so grateful. I will try to post more stories and pictures as the days continue.

Blessings on all of you.

Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment